Venkatesh Balasundaram Athreya has made a remarkable contribution to the growth of Department of Economics at Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli where he served from 1977 to 2008 when he retired. He has also held faculty positions/Fellowships/Visiting Scholarships in a number of reputed academic institutions in India and abroad. These include the University of Wisconsin and Bucknell University in the USA, Oxford University and the University of Cambridge in UK, Lund University in Sweden, the Scandinavian Institute of Asian Studies in Copenhagen, IIT, Chennai, MIDS, Chennai and CDS, Thiruvananthapuram. He has written over a hundred research papers including several research reports and monographs. He has authored/coauthored five books. He has been actively involved in the areas of gender, literacy and development as both planner and social activist. He has won a number of awards and honours, the most recent one being the Distinguished Achievement Award for Political Economy in the 21st Century by the World Association of Political Economy in May 2014. Continue reading Bio data of the Experts: Social Sciences Winter School 2016
Workshop 1 : Documenting Processes of Spatial Mobility: Qualitative and Ethnographic Approaches
- Dr Rémy Delage : Geographer (Centre for South Asian Studies, CNRS-EHESS, Paris / IFP, Pondicherry)
- Dr Aurélie Varrel : Geographer (IFP, Pondicherry / Centre for South Asian Studies, CNRS-EHESS, Paris)
- Dr Tristan Bruslé : Geographer (CSH, New Delhi / Centre for Himalayan Studies, CNRS, Paris)
- Prof. Mohammed Abdul Kalam : (Dept. of Sociology, Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam)
- Dr Marie Percot : Anthropologist (Paris) Continue reading Workshop 1: Documenting Processes of Spatial Mobility: Qualitative and Ethnographic Approaches
Workshop 2: Using Survey Data to Understand Social and Geographical Mobility
- Dr Christophe Jalil Nordman – Economist (IRD, DIAL and IFP, Pondicherry)
- Prof. Aswhini Deshpande – Economist (Delhi School of Economics, New Delhi)
- Dr Véronique Gille – Economist (IRD, DIAL, France)
- Prof. Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay – Economist (Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi)
- Dr Jean-Noël Senne – Economist (Université Paris-Sud, France) Continue reading Workshop 2: Using Survey Data to Understand Social and Geographical Mobility
Workshop 3: Social Mobility in its Indian Complexity: Conceptual and Methodological Dynamics
- Dr. Thanuja Mummidi – Anthropologist (Pondicherry University)
- Prof. Partha N. Mukherjee – Sociologist
- Prof. D.N. Dhanagare – Sociologist
- Prof. Venkatesh Athreya – Economist
- Dr. Alexandra De Heering – Historian Continue reading Workshop 3: Social Mobility in its Indian Complexity: Conceptual and Methodological Dynamics
The Social Sciences Winter School in Pondicherry has been designed as a programme of intensive and multidisciplinary training workshops addressing theoretical and methodological issues in social sciences research.
Themes : Each edition of the Winter School is based on a cross-cutting theme in the field of social sciences, taken as a guideline throughout the training workshop. For the 2016 Edition, the following theme has been chosen: “Mobility and Social Dynamics”. The specific topics addressed encompass: spatial and social mobility, circulation, international migration, diaspora and the homeland, gender, survey design, data collection and analysis.
Each edition of the Winter School is based on a cross-cutting theme in the field of social sciences, taken as a guideline throughout the training workshop. For the 2016 Edition, the following theme has been chosen: “Mobility and Social Dynamics”.
See the detailed programme in Mobility and Social Dynamics 2016 Continue reading Mobility and Social Dynamics – 2016