Each edition of the Winter School is based on a cross-cutting theme in the field of social sciences, taken as a guideline throughout the training workshop. For the 2019 Edition, the following theme has been chosen: “Heritage, Communities, and Sustainability”.
Call for participants 2019
The major thread of this 2019 edition will be to address issues at the interface between Heritage, Communities, and Sustainability through the lens of social sciences, with different thematic focus, scales of interpretation, theoretical questioning and methodological frameworks, and in interaction with various stakeholders.
The Booklet with all details will be prepared in the following weeks.
The training will run through five consecutive days and will be articulated around two poles: the plenary sessions and the methodological-disciplinary workshops, as detailed below.
You can also download the Programme Schedule 2016
Continue reading Training Programme – 2016
Workshop 1 : Documenting Processes of Spatial Mobility: Qualitative and Ethnographic Approaches
- Dr Rémy Delage : Geographer (Centre for South Asian Studies, CNRS-EHESS, Paris / IFP, Pondicherry)
- Dr Aurélie Varrel : Geographer (IFP, Pondicherry / Centre for South Asian Studies, CNRS-EHESS, Paris)
- Dr Tristan Bruslé : Geographer (CSH, New Delhi / Centre for Himalayan Studies, CNRS, Paris)
- Prof. Mohammed Abdul Kalam : (Dept. of Sociology, Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam)
Workshop 2: Using Survey Data to Understand Social and Geographical Mobility
- Dr Christophe Jalil Nordman – Economist (IRD, DIAL and IFP, Pondicherry)
- Prof. Aswhini Deshpande – Economist (Delhi School of Economics, New Delhi)
- Dr Véronique Gille – Economist (IRD, DIAL, France)
- Prof. Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay – Economist (Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi)
Workshop 3: Social Mobility in its Indian Complexity: Conceptual and Methodological Dynamics
- Dr. Thanuja Mummidi – Anthropologist (Pondicherry University)
- Prof. Partha N. Mukherjee – Sociologist
- Prof. D.N. Dhanagare – Sociologist
- Prof. Venkatesh Athreya – Economist
The Social Sciences Winter School in Pondicherry has been designed as a programme of intensive and multidisciplinary training workshops addressing theoretical and methodological issues in social sciences research.
Themes : Each edition of the Winter School is based on a cross-cutting theme in the field of social sciences, taken as a guideline throughout the training workshop. For the 2016 Edition, the following theme has been chosen: “Mobility and Social Dynamics”. The specific topics addressed encompass: spatial and social mobility, circulation, international migration, diaspora and the homeland, gender, survey design, data collection and analysis.
Continue reading Programme of Social Sciences Winter School in Pondicherry 2016