The French Institute of Pondicherry (IFP) is a financially autonomous institution under the joint supervision of the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (MAEE) and the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS). The IFP is also an affiliated research institute of the Pondicherry University. In keeping with its multidisciplinary nature, the Institute hosts, fully or in part, research projects spread over several departments and operational structures:
- Department of Indology: Indian analyses of Sanskrit language and literature; History of religions; Tamil studies; Archeological heritage of South India.
- Department of Social Sciences: Health, medicine and society in South Asia; Urban dynamics; Economy, finance, labour and mobility; Legal anthropology; Environment and societies.
- Department of Ecology: Laboratory of palaeoecology and palynology; Laboratory of forestry and botany; Laboratory of management and conservation of ecosystems and landscapes; Mathematics and informatics applied to Ecology.
- Laboratory of Applied Informatics and Geomatics: Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Information Technology and Communication (IT&C), Remote sensing, Spatial analysis, Web mapping, Multimedia.
- Documentary resources : Library: 66 000 books, 800 journals (50 are regularly subscribed); Manuscript Collections (8 500 palm-leaf) and Photo Archives (140 000).