The Social Sciences Winter School in Pondicherry (SSWSP) is an Indo-French cooperation that has been designed as a programme of intensive and multidisciplinary training workshops addressing theoretical and methodological issues in social sciences research. This event provides each and everyone with the opportunity of sharing experiences and research ideas.
This training workshop has three main objectives:
- To create a highly efficient tool in research capacity-building;
- To consolidate a community of young scholars, senior scientists and experts;
- To ease the exchange of knowledge and skills between India and France in the domain of social sciences;
- To enhance the visibility of the Indo-French cooperation in India.
More tangible results and outcomes are expected:
- Development of a dedicated website in English (with digital resources);
- Validation through delivery of certificates upon completion of the training;
- Writing of a scientific, pedagogical and technical report;
- Publication of proceedings in paper (IFP Publications) and digital (Website) formats.
The SSWSP is open to Doctoral and Master Students of all fields in social sciences. Trainees are selected on the basis of their qualifications, while taking into account the value of the training with regards to their research or professional projects.
The teams of trainers are multidisciplinary and international, composed of young and senior researchers originating from several Indian universities and research centres of excellence, as well as from abroad. It is the result of a long-lasting Indo-French collaboration between Pondicherry University and the French Institute in Pondicherry, as well as with IRD, DIAL, CEIAS, and Bonjour India in France in the last edition 2017.
The School of Social Sciences and International Studies at Pondicherry University
The University is fully supported by the University Grants Commission. It is a member of the Association of Indian Universities and the Association of Commonwealth Universities. Pondicherry University is outstanding among the central universities in India. The teaching faculty consists of more than 389 active and erudite members in different Schools, Departments and Centers. Currently, there are around 4375 students pursuing their post-graduate and doctoral programmes on the campus.
These apart, several thousand students are on the rolls of the University through the Community College, the Directorate of Distance Education and 85 affiliated colleges, contribute to the richness of the University’s learning experience. Besides, Semester in India Programme (SIP) attracts several foreign students who visit every year.
The School of Social Sciences and International Studies, located in the Silver Jubilee Campus, comprises the following Departments and Centers:
- Department of Sociology